Welcome to the Real Russia!
The Golden Ring is a collection of cites northeast of Moscow. This Premium Class Adventure features a visit to these popular cities, which are sometimes called “open air museums”. They are picturesque and charming, featuring small, quaint villages, monasteries, kremlins, churches, and cathedrals. But “Beyond the Golden Ring” offers so much more in addition to these delightful cities.
Much of this Adventure takes place in the “Real Russia” – the one “ beyond the Golden Ring”. We’ll take the “road less traveled” where you’ll enjoy the natural and architectural beauty found in the heart of Russia. You’ll get to know the Russia of princes, czars and folk tales. Before heading to St. Petersburg we’ll ride to the small town of Sortavala where we’ll stay in a beautiful lodge on Lake Ladoga – Europe’s largest lake. The free day at Sortavala will allow us to take an exclusive cruise to Valaam – one of the most popular islands on the lake, where we’ll also enjoy a shasklik – a classic Russian cookout.
Much of this trip will take place in the beautiful Karelia Region of Russia during the time of “White Nights”. The weather will be warm and pleasant, and it will never really get dark, as the sun does not set until nearly midnight and sunrise is well before 4 am. It’s a delightful time to travel in the Russian wilderness, riding through enchanting forests and among countless lovely lakes and rivers.
One of the most surprising things that our riders on this tour have experienced in the number of places that we’ve visited in which locals claim to have never seen a visitor from North America.
After spending two nights in St. Petersburg, we’ll return to Riga via Tallinn, Estonia, where we’ll enjoy a most entertaining evening in this charming, medieval city.
Our choice of accommodations is outstanding and meals are delightful and typically Russian.
(Ron Ayres wrote a blog about his scouting trip in Russia that led to the development of this Ayres Adventure. If you’d like to read the blog articles, just click on “Ron’s Travels” at the top of the website. The articles appear in reverse chronological order.)
At a Glance
Your Russia Beyond the Golden Ring Adventure
As we approach Moscow we’ll begin to experience some big-city traffic, but fortunately most of it will be going in the opposite direction. It’s Friday night and there are many more people leaving Moscow for the weekend than are heading into the city. Once parked and checked into our hotel we’ll head out for a final celebration dinner and perhaps go out to see the night lights at Red Square. A great way to end a great Russian Adventure.
Your free day in Moscow will provide an opportunity to shake off jet lag and explore the city, including a tour of Red Square and the Kremlin.
Although approximately 95% of the route is paved, road conditions vary considerably in rural areas. Although most of the roads are lovely, some secondary roads are rough with uneven surfaces, freeze-damaged surfaces, and occasional potholes. Unpaved sections do not require technical off-road experience, but riders should have experience riding gravel roads.
This trip is intended for experienced riders.
- Includes BMW F700GS or BMW G650GS
- Additional charge of $350 for a BMW F800GS
- Additional charge of $350 for a BMW F800R
- Additional charge of $350 for a BMW F800GT
- Additional charge of $650 for a BMW F800GS Adv
- Additional charge of $800 for a BMW RNineT
(limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $800 for a BMW R1200GS LC
- Additional charge of $1,000 for a BMW R1200GS Adv LC
- Additional charge of $1,900 for a BMW R1200RT LC
- Additional charge of $1,900 for a BMW R1200RS LC (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $2,400 for a BMW K1300R (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $2,400 for a BMW K1300S (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $2,700 for a BMW S1000RR (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $2,700 for a BMW K1600GT (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $2,700 for a BMW K1600GTL (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $200 for a Ducati Monster 70 (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $800 for a Ducati Multistrata 1200 (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $350 for a Ducati Hyperstrada 800
(limited number – on special request)
- Own motorcycle: deduct $1,700 from the rider price.