The Dramatic Dolomites is the third in our series of Switchback Challenges, which are designed for riders wishing to maximize the time spent riding the spectacular motorcycling roads of the Alps, while minimizing hotel changes. This 7-day Club Class Adventure begins and ends in Munich, with the remaining nights spent in the same biker-friendly hotel, situated in the heart of the Dolomites, a motorcyclist’s playground.
A World Heritage Site, the Dolomites feature vertical rock walls and spectacular brightly-colored, block-like mountains that distinguish it from other Alpine regions. The itinerary includes almost 20 peaks with elevations exceeding 10,000 feet and 16 mountain pass roads ranging from 4,500 to 7,400 feet. Our native tour leaders consider this their backyard playground where they know even the most hidden roads. Riders will experience some of the most technical on-road riding as they encounter countless hairpin turns, but there will also be numerous opportunities to take a break at local cafes, relax and enjoy the impressive mountain scenery.
In addition to incredible riding, optional activities include:
- From Falzarego Pass take the cable car up to Lagazuoi, which was the location of heavy combat in WWI. The tunnel that the Italians built under the Austrian lines is open to the public.
- Spend an afternoon or evening in the nearby city of Bolzano and visit the Oetzi Museum which is built around the oldest known natural human mummy (more than 5,000 years old).
- Stroll around the streets of upscale Cortina d’Ampezzo where the 1956 Winter Olympics were held.
- Take a ride to legendary Venice, which is less than 3 hours from our base hotel.
The ride to/from Munich to our base hotel in the Dolomites crosses exciting motorcycling territory and, if weather permits, will include crossing Austria’s highest pass road, the Grossglockner.
At a Glance Your Dolomites Switchback Challenge Adventure
Welcome to the beer capital of Germany! We will pick you up at the Munich airport and transfer you to our hotel in Ismaning, located half way between the airport and downtown Munich. For those wishing to explore Munich, Ismaning has very good public transportation to Munich City Centre. Those arriving early may want to visit the BMW Museum, try out one of the famous Bavarian beer gardens, or do sightseeing in downtown Munich. Later in the afternoon we will have the motorcycle handover, followed by a kickoff meeting and our first dinner together!
Today we head south toward the Alps, crossing the border to Austria and passing Innsbruck. On the old Brenner Pass road we approach Bolzano, Italy and then dive into the very heart of the Alps – the Dolomites!! Our “biker friendly” hotel for the next four nights is perfectly located to access our playground for the next few days. It is appointed with comfortable amenities and all necessary services and conveniences. Our luggage will have arrived by van.
We head east to ride the most famous and challenging roads of the Dolomites, crossing up to 10 high elevation passes! We will pass through the villages of Corvara, Cortina d’Amprezzo, Valle di Cadore, Forno di Zoldo, Caprile and Canazei. The roads between them are simply breathtaking!
Today we will make a big loop around the Fleimstaler Alps, leading us into the Trentino region of Italy. Though the mountains will look different, the roads are as challenging as the ones we experienced yesterday. If you would like to spend some time exploring the city of Trento, you can do so, and then take the short route back to the hotel.
Today we will explore the hidden gems off the beaten track, northeast of our hotel! A good part of today’s loop will be on very small, twisty roads through the backcountry of the Dolomites region.
Our last riding day features another highlight of this trip: Austria’s highest pass road, the Grossglockner, topping out at 8,215 ft! As we leave behind the high mountains of the Alps, we’ll descend into Austria and southern Bavaria, which also offer very nice riding. Upon our arrival, we’ll enjoy a well-deserved reward: refreshing Bavarian beer!
After breakfast, we will arrange your transfer to the airport for your flight home.
The route is entirely paved, but includes many challenging sections, particularly on narrow and twisty pass roads in the mountains. The tour is best done by experienced riders.
- Includes BMW F700GS
- Additional charge of $100 for a Ducati Monster 700 (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $100 for a BMW F800GS
- Additional charge of $100 for a BMW F800R
- Additional charge of $100 for a BMW F800GT
- Additional charge of $100 for a BMW F800GS Adv
- Additional charge of $100 for a Ducati Hyperstrada 800
(limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $100 for a BMW R1200R LC
- Additional charge of $250 for a BMW R1200GS LC
- Additional charge of $250 for a Ducati Multistrata 1200 (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $290 for a BMW R nineT
(limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $300 for a BMW R1200GS Adv LC
- Additional charge of $300 for a BMW R1200RT LC
- Additional charge of $450 for a BMW S1000R
- Additional charge of $550 for a BMW S1000XR
- Additional charge of $550 for a BMW R1200RS LC (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $550 for a BMW K1300R (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $550 for a BMW K1300S (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $1,090 for a BMW S1000RR (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $1,090 for a BMW K1600GT (limited number – on special request)
- Additional charge of $1,090 for a BMW K1600GTL (limited number – on special request)
- Personal motorcycle: deduct $500 from the rider price.
- Late model, low mileage motorcycle
- All accommodations
- A’ la carte dining
- One Ayres Adventures professional tour leader
- Airport arrival/departure transfers
- Luggage handling
- Comprehensive pre-trip planning and assistance
- Customized trip booklet with day-by-day itinerary and attractions
- Two commemorative shirts
- Adventurer Club travel award credit
Our overall expectations were exceeded!
What an experience! Traveling through Germany, Austria and northern Italy while enjoying a variety of breathtaking landscapes was truly amazing. Our guide was fantastic, our group was composed of wonderful people and our overall expectations were exceeded. What my wife and I thought would be a once in a lifetime trip has opened our eyes to the joys of motorcycling in remarkable locations so much so that we are now planning on continuing the adventure in the future with Ayres Adventures as our guide. Thank you Axel!
Joe and Mary’s Adventures include:
Dolomites Switchback Challenge
Joe and Mary Penney
Barrie, Ontario, Canada